Saturday, October 31, 2009

Where are all the penises?


Trust me, this post is about art. Ok, including the word penis in my blog is sure to increase traffic, but that's only a side benefit.
Given that there are literally thousands of statues and paintings of nude men in Rome, you'd be hard pressed to find a penis on any of them. But that's not how it has always been. Romans were proud of their appendages and carved them in a realistic, although not always flattering proportion. It was during one of the Catholic churches many bouts of paranoia that the male genitalia become too "distracting" to have protruding from statues. Apparently the housework was falling behind.
So there were a couple of approaches taken to cleanse art from such troubling sights. For many of the old Greek statues, the penis was simply chiseled off. I don't know about you, but the site of a fully intact scrotum with nothing but a stub of rough broken stone is far more disturbing than an anatomically correct rendition. Did the young Roman boys just think this was what would happened when they hit puberty? I'm pretty sure their ancient talks about the "body changing" during puberty were as cryptic as our household. It just made sense that my thingy would just fall off after a while. I wonder if there's a museum somewhere with thousands of stone penises.

The second approach to cleansing was used for more valued works of art and involved putting a stone fig-leaf over the groin on a statue or painting a strategic handkerchief where required. I'm surprised there isn't a line of fig-leaf shaped thongs for men - The Roman Thong. The pope even asked a painter to cover up Michelangelo's nude men on the front wall of the Sistine Chapel. Now that's sacrilegious. If Michelangelo wanted me to see Adam's private bits, then that's what I should see.
Meanwhile, I will keep up my search for stone penises and report back if I stumble into one.
By the way, if you want to comment on this or any of our blogs, we'd love to hear from you. Just click on the word "comments" below the post and let us know what's on your mind. Well of course, I know what's on your mind right now.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Ray for this interesting fact about Roman art, but a disappointing one . It raises alot of questions... Did Venus Di milo have penises for arms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why you're a professional Joe! You have uncovered the very real possibility of penis arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough, I stumbled across this post through apparently `relevant` Google searches. That title works...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The penisses are in a room (not open for public) in the Vatican, were all proibited things are keept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This art-mutilation is just more evidence of ridiculous religious actions that make most organized religions less popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My art teacher and I were discussing this very topic because she is currently teaching Roman and Greek art styles and history. She talked with me about how warriors would come through and cut off the arms and penises of statues because it was one of the greatest form of disrespect. Is this true as well as the information in this article? Or was she maybe mistaken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the "barbarians" who sacked Rome were responsible for much of the damage done to classic sculptures. They also abused the noses!

      Delete
  7. The roman men in Pompeii have very prominent penises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this while sitting in the Capitoline museums. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The museum in Naples has a room full of disembodied penises- and vaginas for that matter

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son went to Greece for a school trip and brought me back a carved wooden penis keychain. Now I understand:)

    ReplyDelete