Sunday, October 25, 2009

Blowin' in the wind


We spent an hour in a very old church that was just filled with beautiful art. Most religious art depicts some moment from the new testament or focuses on the namesake of the church. All very beautiful, but I hesitate to say that it rarely moves me (sorry Mum). Maybe it's message overload or maybe any simplicity in the message is lost in gold, multi-coloured marble or papal coat of arms. Or maybe it's just me.
As we exited the church, there was some graffiti on a nearby wall that stopped me in my tracks.
"How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man?"

This famous line, written by Bob Dylan when he was a mere 21 years old, made me think more than any of the papal tombs, frescos, and stained glass in Rome. I know there are inspirational religious messages and poets - I hear there's even a best selling book of the stuff. Maybe I should pull out Gideon and look for them. Or maybe I can just be satisfied that something as simple as graffiti made me stop and ponder humanity.
Or maybe, it's just the wine talking.

2 comments:

  1. Just for the record, the answer is forty-seven. A man must walk down forty-seven roads before you can call him a man. It's somewhere in the Bible.

    Glad to see you guys are having fun on that side of the planet. I am extremely jealous.

    Sincerely,

    Your son's struggling comedian friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have a religious scholar in our midst. It beats having Gorillas in our midst.
    When you stop getting a standing ovation after a good days work, I'll stop being jealous of you.
    Keep making 'em laugh funny boy.

    ReplyDelete