Friday, October 16, 2009

Turkish bath? Is that legal?

Sue put on her adventurous hat again and we went to a "hamman". I can't imagine what we'd do if I were in charge of entertainment. As far as I can tell a hamman is what is left over when you take all the illegal activities out of a turkish bath. Stay with me, it was actually quite nice without all the worries of disease and burning in hell.
This gem of a place was in the middle of Rome's Jewish ghetto. They really need a PR campaign because everyone calls it a ghetto.  At reception, they send us in opposite directions to change into our swimsuit (on Wed and Fri, it is women only and bathing suits are optional - who said Rome is ruled by men). I have trouble understanding the signs and end up walking in the back door to the women's changeroom. (Un)Fortunately Sue is there alone and I only get a bonus look at her.
We both make our way downstairs to a beautiful marble bath area with arched brick ceilings, hot misty air and warmed marble benches. We lie on the marble benches and an attendant pours warm water over us. I'm already worrying about what on earth to tip such a person. Sue and I get the hang of things and starting pouring water on each other - I am accused of dumping more than pouring but in my defense, it was my first such experience since Mike and I stopped bathing together.

We then rubbed some Moroccan olive soap over ourselves working up a lather that smelled like Mum's kitchen during the first wonderful stage of Italian sauce making.
Instead of rinsing, we then went into a very hot steam room to sweat out the demons that live just under the skin (my interpretation). When we started to feel faint from the heat we went out and rinsed ourselves by pouring water on each other.
Repeat 2 or 3 times....
On our last time, instead of rinsing, the attendant has us lie on the marble bench and proceeds to scrub us with a rough glove. Even the most confident among us can't handle a strange woman rubbing vigorously on your stomach. As tight as I made those muscles, the jiggle felt out of control. I never made eye contact and we both knew the tip had to go up.
We then showered and relaxed in a cold-warm pool to bring your body temperature down. Throw in a cup of tea and some spa music and you've got yourself a hamman.
I have to admit, it was very relaxing and it cleared my nasals and loosened my very sore neck. I'm not sure what went on in these baths in the past, but having a fully clothed female attendant massage the extra pounds on my belly was risque enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment