Saturday, October 31, 2009

My Way



After hearing dozens of street musicians and been serenaded late at night by musicians in the piazza below our apartment, we have figured out Italy's national song and it was written by a Canadian. We've heard My Way played on a saxophone, a violin and of course, an accordion. Are Italians so proud of Frank that they pay homage to him on an hourly basis? Or is it Paul Anka's heritage that they are celebrating. I'm betting that the 60+ crowd hands over more euros than anyone so they are simply playing to their audience. There's not a lot of teens tossing coins in the hat of the musicians playing U2 on the accordion. But maybe there just isn't an accomplished enough accordionist out there to give it a try. I knew I should have kept up my lessons.
The other popular song is the theme from The Godfather. I'm not sure you would hear the theme from Schindler's List in Munich but, again, it puts a smile on the faces of the old folks with the new purses.
One night we were serenaded outside our window by a woman with a cello playing beautiful classical music. She hasn't been back knowing it's tough to compete with ole blue eye

2 comments:

  1. "there's not a lot of teens tossing coins in the hat of the musicians playing U2 on the accordian"

    you've been gone 6 weeks and you've already lost touch with the teenage crowd. You couldn't come up with a better band than U2 (the 80's wonder boys) to capture the minds of today's teenagers. I can't wait for the next Leslie Nielson movie either!

    ...miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty. I had originally wrote Jay-Z but felt like I was really out on a limb and needed to stay closer to my core audience (myself).
    We recently shared a theatre with a class of Italians teens to see a play of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I have no interest in capturing their minds or reading what's on their cell phones.

    ReplyDelete