Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You say ecstasy, I say potato



The photo is of a beautiful Bernini sculture called "The Ecstasy of St. Theresa". Bernini was to Michelangelo what Jacqueline Smith was to Farah Fawcett. Both exceptional, but we only talk about Farah now.
In case you thought the church was somehow anti-sex, here is St. Theresa's own description of her "ecstasy" that Bernini captured in his statue:
I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the iron's point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it. The soul is satisfied now with nothing less than God. The pain is not bodily, but spiritual; though the body has its share in it. It is a caressing of love so sweet which now takes place between the soul and God, that I pray God of His goodness to make him experience it who may think that I am lying.
I don't need to add anything, do I?
Now that I understand the bar for sainthood, I would like to nominate Danielle Steele for beatification.
Bravo St. Theresa, bravo.

3 comments:

  1. I pray daily to St. Thersa and should she read your Blog I hope that she will still listen to my supplications. Aunt teresa is called after her and she was your Grandfather's favourite saint before he took up drinking.
    I had never read her description of the ecstasy but despite this new insight I will continue to picture her in a simpler, less tortured way.
    Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revision on St. theresa. After talking with Aunt teresa I am happy to say Bernini's St. theresa is not the St Theresa that I pray too nor the saint that she is called for.. My dismay was misplaced and I apologize. Aunt teresa has seen Bernini's statue of the other Saint Teresa and can understand your suggested interpretaion of her exstasy. keep blogging. aileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I didn't take a (tongue-in-cheek) jab at a family hero. Although, it is just a matter of time before I offend someone (if it hasn't already happened).
    It's good that my ecstasy blog got you past your anxiety about posting a comment for fear of being billed for something.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete