Thursday, November 12, 2009

Italian dogs


Those who know me well were expecting this post eventually. Dogs also bark in Italy.
We were having a great city experience, getting used to sounds of cars, scooters, maintenance workers, pigeons, and angry Italians. And then it started. The deep woofing sound of a large dog. It would start in the morning and continue throughout the day. The odd midnight barking session was also thrown in. You might be surprised to know that I'm not concerned about my own sanity - I've matured. But I read a very interesting article on the impact of pets on the environment - http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427311.600-how-green-is-your-pet.html. Apparently they rank up there with SUVs as the big sinners against Al Gore's earth. Every time I heard a woof, a tear welled up for the poor polar bear. With every howl, another island in the south Pacific sunk. It's not that I hate dogs, it's that I love David Suzuki more.
I am sure the dog next door would have a lesser impact on the environment if it moves a couple of kilometers down the road.

4 comments:

  1. Great to read your travel-blog guys. Ray you have exposed another of your many talents. You really should have been first on the honour role above that Matthew felow.
    (I would submit the lost penis essay somewhere if I were you - I'm sure there is a specific journal for that kind of thing.)
    We've just caught up on your entries. I'll be sure to keep checking in.
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vince,
    I think Matthew is curing cancer somewhere so let's not disturb him with the news.
    I'd hate to think I peaked at penises, so I'll keep blogging.
    Thanks for commenting!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. this bit on dogs may just save me from giving in to family pressures here in etobicoke. My fact-based argument of "pee stains on the floor" is just getting sarcastic responses telling me do my business sitting down if i can't control my aim.

    Ray - great stuff. and ireland sound incredible. Any country where the people give you the very light bulb that's down their shirt is alright by me.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, I can't think of a more noble fight. Godspeed on keeping your house dog-free.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete