Friday, November 27, 2009

People-watching in Tuscany


While spending almost a week in the internet-deprived yet still beautiful region of Tuscany, we sat in an outdoor wine bar/cafe in the main piazza in Siena. If you've never been, it's a huge square that transforms into a horserace twice a year. While there were no horses to watch, observing the locals was nearly as fun.

  • We watched groups of older men, wearing Rat Pack hats, passionately talking about something. I'm not sure I see men huddled in Canada without drawing suspicion.
  • Women appear to have skipped their 30's. Lots of pretty 20-somethings, then it appears that life and the sun have beaten them and their skin into their 50's. I haven't given the same scrutiny to men, but it's probably the same.
  • Men walking arm-in-arm. It's actually quite touching and sad that such forms of male bonding would only garner stares in North America. I was one of the few staring in Italy.
  • Shiny, puffy coats are in. I hope they remain a European phenomenon.
  • My god, they smoke a lot. I haven't seen so many people rolling their own cigarettes since me and Mike got paid a nickel a cigarette in the 70's.
  • Bleached blond italians can legally be used as a flotation device. Their botoxed lips alone have been known to save many a drowning man. Actually, we are physically startled each time we see such a creature.
  • Pleasantries become arguments which become shouting matches which become warm embraces, and that's all in the time it takes to sample and reject the tasteless crusty bread.
  • With more determination than I know, an old Italian man shuffles across the piazza one inch at a time. 
  • Three kids play with a soccer ball and frankly I'm not impressed with their ball control.
Several times throughout our people-watching, loud explosions that sounded like canons went off in the square. Loud enough to shake our table and to startle Sue... and scare me. The locals didn't even react. When we asked the waitress what the sound was, she simply said, "I don't know, it hasn't happened before".  Whatever it was, it wasn't sufficient to stop the Italians from being Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment