Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Old Apartment


We are thrilled with the apartment. Although I'm sure they used some sort of magical camera lens to make it look twice as big for the internet pictures, it's all we need. It's in a perfect location and while in a very old building, it has been recently renovated so has all the luxuries a trip to Ikea can provide.
There are a few things that will take some time to get used to:
  1. It's on the 4th floor without an elevator (or lift as they say "on the continent"). I am out of breath when I get to our door so that should be a good baseline for my fitness for the trip.
  2. There's a great bathtub with shower but no shower curtain. I'm accustomed to an allowance of about 3 feet of spray in any direction so I need to refine my rinsing technique.
  3. A bidet. I will master this before I leave this place, or find an alternative purpose.
  4. Stairs between our bedroom and the bathroom. I know I'm spoiled with an en suite, but these are the years I need a late night trip to the bathroom.
  5. A low doorway getting in/out of our bedroom. Not a big deal until you consider #4 above.
The best feature of the apartment is the large terrace. It could easily seat 10 people so it's just the right size for me and Sue. Instead of describing it, here's a picture of a view from our terrace. Yes, that's St. Peter's in the background. If you look closely, you'll see rooftop satellite dishes marking a path to the Vatican.



No comments:

Post a Comment